Tuesday, January 25, 2011

door to the river

When I made that humongous Moleskine post last week it took me back to France, to when I exhibited my Moleskines. Obviously I've been showing my sketch books online for the last few years. But before the exhibition in France few people had ever seen them 'in the flesh'. And, at first, I was quite reticent to show them. Specifically my 'spare' Moleskine. I had never ever shown anyone this book before. You might have seen a few of the finished drawings from it but that's it. The reason for that is because, apart from those odd finished pieces, my spare Moleskine is full of lists, quotes, lyrics, doodles and thoughts. And that's quite scary. I've always felt that peering into that book is a bit like finding John Nash's shed in the woods and opening the door.

But, to my surprise, many people at the exhibition really enjoyed seeing these pages. Yes, they commented on the obsessive content but it struck a chord somewhere with folk. So, I thought maybe I'd show you some here. The top spread is one of those pages. It's where I chuck everything onto a page for future reference. Then below are some of the drawings that came from those seeds.

Is this stuff of any interest to you? Cos there's loads more of it.




You know, there could well be a lot of posts this week because somebody is desperately trying to avoid doing their tax returns. So let me know if you want to see more.

25 comments:

Genine said...

Interested would be an understatement!!!! post'em all!!!!
Now i have to go wipe the nose prints off my screen :)

Carolyn said...

Just get them over with so you can write a celebration post! Good luck.

Alaska said...

Yes please... I super enjoy seeing these :)

Carol said...

I would love to see more. . .thank you for sharing part of your process.

Anonymous said...

Yes please

Irene La Zia said...

Yes please, I'd love to see all the drawings of all your Moleskines :)

Kristine said...

I would love it! I'm a process junkie! :)

jill said...

Does a bear poop in the woods?

suzanne cabrera said...

MORE?!?! YES, PLEASE!!!!!!

kateri ewing said...

Uh....un peu plus s'il vous plaît :)

E*phi said...

Yes, yes, yes! What a rhetorical question!
I really love looking at your pages, trying to spot and admire every little detail. And I like the stories they tell!

Also, I find the idea of a whole parallel society of earwigs in my head highly amusing. :D (Although, at the first glance I read "earring". Which would be funny too.)

CHRIS MURRAY said...

absolootlee

Claire M said...

Yes, yes, yes!! I want to see more. These are fascinating!!

Julie Paradise said...

yesyesyes!

magpie said...

love it! this is my first visit and i'm hooked on your work. it's amazingly generous to show so much of yourself this way. are you familiar with barron storey's work? he exhibited dozens of his journals at the society of illustrators in new york. i made several videos and he gave me permission to post them. he, too, fills each corner with himself. here's one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUmKbRg8wTQ

Dawn said...

MORE PLEASE!!!!!! i love every.single.thing. you post :)

mo said...

more? that's a rhetorical question, right? 'cause you know we love your drawings and can't get enough of them, lol ;)

i love them all, especially the ones that combine a sketch with lots of writing. those are so much fun to explore. i love the comment Genine said about nose prints on the screen, what an apt description, lol ;)

Sam said...

Tax schmax, let's see more!

Unknown said...

YES YES YES!!! I love every little mark and line you put down on paper!!!So now I have to do the same as Genine...wipe the nose prints off my iPad screen :)

Digital-Grace said...

Yes, yes, yes ... you are truly inspiring and I love your wit!

Rob said...

Three certain things in life:

death

taxes

and Andrea constantly amazing us.

many thanx

Anonymous said...

In a word, "YES!"
The tax prep will wait. I speak from experience.

pedalpower said...

verrry interested! It's facinating to see how different artists generate the ideas that lead to the images. And it's a seldome seen part...so it's a treat to get to peek into your books!

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Wowza!

Thank you, folks. I'll post more. I still, of course, have not done my tax returns but I do have...um....3 dyas left! Yikes.

Thanks for the wonderful response guys. You really make my day.

Turt said...

Hey Andrea,
I saw you and your drawings at Clermont-Ferrand, during the Biennale. Your notebooks are amazing!! Just want you come back and see them again!
I also want to thank you for your good mood :)
I hope you will do some little things to buy soon.

A bientôt
Turt
(sorry for my english...)